Prologue

The roots for the ride were sown back in the beginning of the year. Just before the two of us went to Shimla and bought rain proof gear, we had already started the pool of the "Ladakh Fund".

Time had been running out on us, and loaded with important stuff on personal and family fronts, the ride could not happen earlier. There was always uncertainty if the ride would actually happen or not. My leaves had not been sanctioned yet, and I was somehow scared of asking my boss for the required leaves. Then came this lovely extra work day in office (the same day as India's T20 WC winning display). The late working hours at office meant that the boss, and everyone else working were watching the match. India Won, everyone was happy (more importantly, the boss) and I dropped the question. With slight hesitation, the leaves were approved and final preparation began. Too many things happening on the personal front meant I was screwed up with work till 6 hrs before our scheduled departure.

Rohon finished off most of the pre-trip issues, from getting the spares, to riding boots, to Diamox, to the OMR and everything else. Amidst all the other things happening in life, I could only find time to get the Bull serviced on Saturday, 2 days before the scheduled departure.

We both realized that the trip timing was not right and we may not be able to cross any of the high altitude passes and reach Leh. Secondary protocol itinerary had been discussed and frozen.

Rohon stayed the night at my place on Sept. 30. I finished my work at 10.30 pm and we finally crashed in bed at 11.30 pm. Popped up the Diamox, alarms Set for 3.30 am, the day had arrived.

DAY 1

1 comment:

jsr said...

Hats off mate!
good ride and a neat write up